Your hair extensions care is of utmost importance if you want to keep them bonded to your scalp for a long time. Your first line of defense refers to the hair extensions care information that you might have received from your hair stylist when you got the extensions done. However, if you have not received them, you may wish to read on below:
1. Washing your hair extensions – A cardinal part of hair extension care is to keep your hair clean always. Your hair extensions tangle up after doing various activities such as exercises, swimming, sweating etc.
To ensure good care about the hair extension, brush gently your hair in a downward motion to remove tangles. After this step, slowly add water to your hair, preferably brushing water in. Once your scalp and hair are wet, use a mild quality shampoo that your stylist suggests to clean your hair. Allow water to gently cascade down your hair to remove the shampoo.
2. Drying your hair extensions – Once you have taken care of hair extensions using a shampoo and conditioner, make sure that your hair is thoroughly rinsed out. Gently towel the hair dry and do not rub them. Also, allow the hair to air dry or use an ionic hair dryer.
3. Styling your hair extensions – Brush your hair in downward strokes using a soft bristle brush. This is a part of how to care for human hair extensions. Do not use heat, if possible, because it can degrade the quality of your hair extensions. If possible, use curlers while hair is still damp and allow air dry if you want to curl your hair.
4. More hair extension protection – When you exercise, braid or put your hair in a ponytail to prevent tangling. Also, wear a swim cap if you are planning to swim or play in the ocean or pool. These tips will extend the life of your hair extensions care.
5. Sleep tips for hair extensions care – When you go to sleep, make sure that your hair is dry. Also, if possible, braid your hair to ensure that it does not tangle up. If you have not figured out, tangling can be detrimental to the life expectancy of the hair extension.
Other final thoughts when it comes to hair extensions care to include:
1. Do not use styling products with alcohol, as these products dry hair up.
2. Do not attempt to perm or color your hair when the extensions are in. Allow a stylist who has the experience and know-how to do this.
3. Use a leave-in spray or conditioner rather than using a rinse-in and rinse-out one.